Jon Lugbill | USA
Jon is generally considered as the best paddler to ever compete in whitewater canoeing dominating the top levels of canoe slalom for over a decade (with Davey Hearn). His innovations in paddling technique and designs not only revolutionized the sport of slalom racing, but also affected the rest of whitewater including the development of squirtboating.
Jon is a five-time World Champion in C1 slalom, and the only athlete in history to have won a record twelve World Championship gold medals. He is also the only paddler to appear on the Wheaties box (the Breakfast of Champions), recognition of his athleticism.
• Five-time Gold Medalist: ’79, ’81, ’83, ’87, ’89 World Championship
• Three-time Gold Overall Medalist: ’88, ’89, ’90 World Cup
• Silver Medalist: ’85 World Championship
• Silver Overall Medalist: ’91 World Cup
• Bronze Medalist in C2: ’77 World Championship
• Olympian: ’92 Olympics (4th place finish)
• Three-time National C1 Champion (1986, 1992, 1995)
• National C2 (Wildwater) Champion (1977)
• US Olympic Committee Top 10 Sportsman of the Tear (1995)
• USA Canoe Kayak Male Athlete of the Year (1989)
• Designed more than a dozen canoes used worldwide (with Davey Hearn, Bob Robson, and Adam Clawson)
• NBC Olympic Canoe/Kayak analyst and commentator (2000 and 2004)